Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Days After

How surprised am I?! I thought I would be death warmed over but as it turns out, I am A-OK. My skin is a bit sore, I do have some shoulder tip pain and am generally a bit achy (like after a light workout) but if that's all that I have to pay, life is pretty great! Monday night was a different story...
I started to feel the side effects at 9:30 which is very good considering that my shot was at 1:30. I had the most intense shoulder tip pain I have ever had, with the exception of when I had my liver biopsies, and my skin hurt all over even when I was standing still! The air touching it hurt. I started to get constant, strong chills so decided it was time for bed. I brought an extra warm blanket to bed to try and keep the chills away since the shaking made my skin hurt more. I slept for 15 minutes at a time all night which was unbelievably frustrating! It was worse than having a newborn! I was so tired Tuesday!! The shock of Monday night though was the sweats! I swear I left a trail to the bathroom when I went to get a towel and squeeze my hair out in the sink (disgusting I know, try being me lol)! If that is what I have to look forward to with menopause, I hope I have my period for the next 50 years!
Wednesday I was just tired. Mom (thank God for Mom!)let me spend the morning sleeping and then took Ryus and I out for a walk which was fabulous! As much as I hate to admit it and am having a slight issue adjusting to it, drinking all the water I need to drink I so good for me in so many ways! I might just get addicted to it! Between the water and baby oil baths, I shouldn't end up with the ribavirin rash.
Today I have slight shoulder tip pain and the skin on my back still hurts but am golden otherwise! Last night I even slept for 3 hours at a time on the couch. Woohoo! Looks like the couch is my new bed since I seem to sleep best there (with the help of some Melatonin). I am so thankful that this is what it is. The flu will be nothing after dealing with this for 6 months! I am sure that as I continue and my hemoglobin drops, my immunity decreases and I become anemic, the side effects will feel much worse but I am enjoying it for now. I will definitely love my body even more when this is all done. You don't know how much you like your un-sore skin, un-nauseated stomach, un-achy muscles and un-tired body until you don't have it anymore, lol. This whole process is a reaffirmation of being thankful for all things. You make the best of whatever comes your way and appreciate how much more difficult it could be. I suppose I am a 'strange animal' as my sister calls me and ended up being one of the lucky ones on these drugs.
Off to watch chick flicks with Mom!

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Sounds intense Bobbi!! Even on the "not so bad" days!!! I was thinking about you lot's this week wondering how you were doing while I was internet-less!! I missed your blog!!! I was wondering if you could do a post about Hep C for dummies like me???!! lol What are the symptoms.....How is this treatment you are on supposed to work etc? If you're bored you can anyway!! lol I could google it too I guess! I'm just learning so much here from you right now! :o)

    Hugs girl! Prayin for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never actually told me what these treatments are supposed to do either. Is it similar to chemo? Latoya's on Chemo and she is in constant pain too just makes me wonder...You are a strong strong woman and you can do this! You have wonderful sisters too. I'm sure they'll help. Thinking of you lots

    ReplyDelete